Sunday, December 26, 2010

Little Things

Whew it was a hot one today after church!  We walked down to see if our local MRT station was opening soon, it looks like it is almost done and the neighbor said she thought it would open by Christmas.  The opening of this MRT station is a big deal for us as it instantly allows much easier access to the whole island to the boys and I when Scott has the car at work. 

The MRT line is like a sub way, they are fast, cheap and air conditioned so we are very excited to live only three blocks from this station.  The guard told us it will open March 2011, so not yet but soon.

The sun was BLAZING hot today so by the time we walked back to the Hawker Center to have some lunch I was very hot, it seems like maybe I was having a hot flash on top of being hot as I have never felt quite like I did when we sat down for lunch.

Well it isn't that easy you don't just sit down for lunch you first have to go around to the different stalls and order what you like, wait for it, take it to your table then you can eat.

We are learning what we like at the Hawker Centers and Scott by far is the most adventurous of all of us as he sat down today he said "I have no idea what I just ordered but I am pretty sure there is no fish in it".  Turns out it was a noodle, chili, egg, tofu type thing.  He said it wasn't bad, then offered us a bite, we passed.

We are learning little things here in Singapore that helps with our communication skills.  In the U.S.if you are at a fast food restaurant you would "super size it" here you "top it up"  in the U.S.  you order your food "to go" here you order "take away". 

After eating I was still feeling very zapped from the heat so Scott went to the drink stall we like to get me some lime juice "take away", oh it is soooo good and refreshing, a bit sour, just perfect to perk you up.  We were surprised by the packaging of this "take away drink"  it came in a bag!
It tasted just great, there is much less garbage waste when you are done but you can not set it down anywhere, no matter we managed to suck down that lime juice pretty quickly on this hot day.

2 comments:

  1. I like the glimpse of your food tray/plate/cloth on your table. I am always fascinated with the way other cultures are. Glad there is a refreshing treat for you :}

    ReplyDelete
  2. So if you can't put the drink down, I guess there's no nursing it for two hours. That's probably a good thing. :)

    ReplyDelete