Saturday, December 4, 2010

Happenings

We are learning a lot about getting around in this city.  Singapore has a very efficient transportation system however it is also a very densely populated city so knowing how and when to move is valuable.

Yesterday our family went to a movie for the first time in Singapore. "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" was playing in 3D so off we went.  It was a Saturday afternoon so why not drive the car right?

There is a system in place with the theaters that allows you to order your tickets on line and you actually get an assigned seat for your movie but they request that you pick your ticket up from the box office one hour before the movie starts.

The theater we were going to was only 4 miles away from our apartment so we left 1/2 hour early.  Well we were late getting our tickets.  The traffic was terrible.  According to our GPS we were only 35 yards from our destination so Scott suggested that I get out and walk to the theater as that would be faster than driving and trying to find parking.

I had no idea where the theater was so I asked a couple on the street who showed me "way over there" and "you can't cross the street here so you have to go down and around over there".  Um... ok, thank you.

 So off I went then I asked another person and another person and then another person and all of them were giving me different directions when I received a text message from my son stating that they were driving a long way to find parking.  Uh-oh. 

I ended up calling Scott on the phone to tell him that I have been walking and walking, in the rain, and I have no idea where the theater is and apparently no one else does either as I was getting different directions from different people.  My family was not too far from where I was so we met up on the street, asked yet another set of people and eventually found the theater.

I am thinking that for certain events it is best to take a taxi and get the door to door service but really driving the car is easier on our budget, so we are learning when to drive and when not to drive and that people want to help you so they would rather tell you something than just say "I don't know" it is best to read their body language as you may be sent on a wild goose chase.

We did get to the theater, found our assigned seats and really enjoyed our movie.  We will not forget the adventure nor the lessons learned in the process.

2 comments:

  1. RANDI, i am so enjoying reading about your adventures!
    Brigitte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Randi! (It's Jennifer from IBC.) You are learning lessons! We, also, have learned when it's beneficial to drive and when it's not. Sometimes it's actually cheaper to take a taxi with 4 people than taking the bus (if you are not going that far and it's not peak hour). Weekends are hard times to find a parking spot, as I'm sure you've figured out. Do you know about the Giant store at Turf City and has free parking and LOTS of it? We love that!

    ReplyDelete